Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Displacement

Narcotics Anonymous -New Haven, Connecticut
Rebecca: Hi, my name is Rebecca and I’m a drug addict.
All: Hi Rebecca.
Rebecca: I’ve been clean for about five years now. I am currently a corporate lawyer, but the road here was not an easy one. I was always a really great kid until after I completed my undergrad. My dad was always really pushy about me being successful, and he eventually pushed me to go to law school. I’ll always believe that he wanted me to go and be this perfect student so he could hang out with some of the big names at Yale. He even talked personally with the Dean and built me up to be the best student possible. I did alright during my first semester, but when finals came around I just couldn’t keep up. My room mate saw that I was struggling and she told me about this guy “The Little Helper” that was around campus a lot during finals week. So I decided to meet him. Oh he was such a creep he was all decrepit and he had meth mouth. I should have known right then, but I was so desperate I needed something to keep me awake. I bought some meth from him and it definitely kept we awake for finals, but after that I was hooked. Anytime I had these seemingly impossible tasks I would call him for help. I had to hide my habit so I never used my financial aid or money from my parents for the drugs, instead I pawned electronics, my skis, an heirloom necklace and ring I had. I would have given the guy my first born child for drugs. After three years of law school I was still using even up to the bar exam I was using. By that time I was totally out of cash and I begged him to let me pay him when I found employment. He told me “when you’re a hot shot lawyer I expect you to pay me back”. After the bar exam the signs of my drug abuse were plainly obvious and my friends and family convinced me to go to treatment. Once I got out of treatment I used some of my connections from law school to find out the guys actual name. I found out his name was Nick Temp. We had him convicted and eventually incarcerated. I hope this is motivational to you all in your struggles to break from your habits. Thank you for listening.

No comments: