Friday, October 3, 2008

I've been reading into things again...

Last night I watched the 2004 version of Phantom of the Opera (which I love with all my heart) and I found some motifs similar to those we have been finding in our fairy tales. One of these is the motif of "The Beast" which is obviously the phantom...when he is in the circus he is called "The Devil's Child" and he has a distorted face yet he is seeking love from the beautiful young woman. There is also the motif of the abduction and the decent into a type of underworld (like Persephone)
The video I have attached takes place right after The Phantom seduces Christine into following him into the caves and tunnels under the opera house. This song is a continuation of his enchantment. He is trying to convince her to turn to the darkness and be his...and Gerard Butler is really handsome...


No comments: